- The patient waits in a waiting room during the hour before surgery.
- Whenever possible, we ask the patient to walk into the operating room. This boosts the patient’s sense of empowerment.
- Medication with analgesics and morphine is withdrawn gradually.
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy begins between 6-12 hours after surgery, depending on whether the surgery was instrumented or non-instrumented.
- 6 hours after surgery, oral feeding begins and the patient may resume any medications they usually take.
Apart from this, another fundamental aspect for the patient's well-being is how their relatives or companions are treated, so our program takes them into account. Relatives or companions can accompany the patient from their exit from the operating room and one of them can stay in the patient’s room during the hospital stay. In addition, we keep them informed in detail about the surgical process and the patient’s evolution after surgery, either in person or by phone in the cases when they have not been able to physically accompany the patient.
With these actions we are able to make the patient’s experience during the operation and hospitalization much more pleasant, which in turn, has a positive impact on the patient’s recovery.